Firsts and Facts
Janene Gordon in training with the first class of inspectors that admitted women in 1971.Janene Gordon is in training with the
first class of inspectors that admitted
Did you know that postal inspectors . . .
- had a hand in establishing the first post roads. U.S. Route 1 began as the original mail route between Boston and New York;
- monitored the transport of mail on stagecoaches, steamboats, and railroads;
- were the first federal agents to be issued Thompson-sub-machine guns—the “Tommy gun”—while guarding railway mail in the 1920s;
- secured the transport of the nation’s gold reserve to Fort Knox and the Hope Diamond to the Smithsonian Institution;
- enforced anti-obscenity laws since 1873 and continue to play an integral role in enforcing the Child Protection Act of 1984; and,
- included some of the first women hired as federal law enforcement agents.