Can’t visit the museum in person? Don't worry, you can now bring the Smithsonian to your students!
About Big Draw
Did you know that each and every postage stamp issued by the United States Postal Service meets very specific rules and regulations regarding the image design? And did you know that any person can submit a stamp design for production approval? These, and other questions, are answered in Big Draw, a cross-curricular program for 3rd through 5th graders. With each stamp produced being a miniature piece of art, Big Draw combines the civics behind stamp design approval and the graphic design behind the beautiful imagery, while incorporating fun hands-on activities and games.
Big Draw is an interesting and engaging program offered at your school that combines listening comprehension skills through a facilitator-led presentation and hands-on art activities. After an introduction on the process of stamp design submission and approval, students work in groups to complete a matching game about stamp art themes. From there, a museum representative will walk students through some of the basics of graphic design that every stamp artist must address in their work. At the end of the session, students get to combine all of their acquired knowledge to sketch their very own stamp design that can be submitted for production!
Frequently Asked Questions
Is this program right for my students?
- Target Age: 3rd - 5th grade students
- Accommodates: up to 50 students at a time
- Program Duration: 50 minutes
What else should I know?
- There is no charge for this program, but reservations at least four weeks in advance are required.
- Please ensure there is a screen or blank wall that your educator can use to project images on throughout this program. Once the program is confirmed, an educator will coordinate with you on additional technology logistics.
When is this program available?
- This program is available most days and most times.
Request a Reservation!
Please be advised that submitting a registration form is only a request. Written confirmation (via e-mail) from the museum constitutes a booking guarantee. A confirmation email will be sent to the email address provided within one business week. Questions regarding your registration request should be directed to NPMEducation@si.edu.