Bring your Pre-K 2 and Pre-K 3 students to the Smithsonian Institution’s National Postal Museum and learn about how the mail moves!
About Let’s Deliver the Mail
Let’s Deliver the Mail is an engaging program for preschoolers, age 2 and 3, that introduces them to the postal system. Through pretend play mail delivery, they will learn first-hand how our mail travels and is delivered. Knowing that experiential learning increases comprehension, Let’s Deliver the Mail combines story time with fun, hands-on activities in the museum’s gallery.
Let’s Deliver the Mail is an exciting, action-packed program that combines listening comprehension skills through story time and in-gallery activities for young learners. Facilitated by museum staff, students will read the story “Let’s Deliver the Mail,” which explains the steps needed for the character Little Letter to travel through the US postal system. Afterwards, students participate in pretend play as a mail carrier, where they sort mail that must be delivered to the museum's famous resident, Owney the dog.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is this program right for my students?
- Target Age: Preschool students (2 and 3 year olds)
- Accommodates: up to 25 students
- Tour duration: 45 minutes
What else should I know?
- The National Postal Museum does not sell any food or snacks. Limited space may be available for those that bring their lunches with them. Arrangements to eat while on premises must be made with the School Programs Coordinator in advance of your visit.
- Entry into any Smithsonian museum requires security screening. In order to ensure a prompt program start, visitors to the National Postal Museum should arrive 15 minutes in advance of their program’s start time. Please communicate to all chaperones and students that they will be subject to security screening prior to their visit.
- The Museum does not have a requirement on the number of chaperones to bring. We simply ask you use your best judgement for the size of your group and the mode of transportation taken to the museum.
When is this program available?
- This program takes place on Tuesdays through Fridays from 10:30 am to 11:15 am, and 11:30 am to 12:15 pm.
- There is no charge for this program, but reservations at least four weeks in advance are required.
Request a Reservation!
Please be advised that submitting a registration form is only a request. Written confirmation (via e-mail) from the museum constitutes a booking guarantee. A confirmation email will be sent to the email address provided within one business week. Questions regarding your registration request should be directed to NPMEducation@si.edu.