On June 21, 1938, a 3-cent violet stamp was issued to commemorate the 150th anniversary of ratification of the U. S. Constitution. Ratification required the assent of nine of the original thirteen states, which was achieved on June 21, 1788. The remaining four states ratified by 1790, following assurances that the Constitution would be amended with a Bill of Rights. The stamp depicts the Old Court House in Williamsburg, Virginia. In front of the building are two mounted riders set to broadcast the news of the ratification.
Gordon T. Trotter