Postal Reform and the World's First Postage Stamps: A Bibliography
The following bibliography was compiled by Thomas J. Alexander for his National Postal Museum booklet "The Queen's Own: Stamps That Changed the World," published in 2004, which is the second in a series of National Postal Museum philatelic research publications.
Thomas Alexander is a member of the National Postal Museum's Council of Philatelists, consultant to the Philatelic Foundation, former chair of two American Philatelic Society committees, and past president of the U.S. Philatelic Classics Society, for which he has served as editor of the 1851 section of The Chronicle for more than 20 years. He is the author or editor of numerous publications, including the 949-page United States 1847 Cover Census (2001). His many philatelic awards include the American Philatelic Society Luff Award for research, the U.S. Philatelic Classics Society Distinguished Philatelist Award, and the Smithsonian Philatelic Achievement Award (2004).
- "An Act for the further Regulation of the Duties on Postage until the Fifth Day of October One thousand eight hundred and forty. (17th August 1839.), Anno Secundo & Tertio Victoriae Reginae," Acts of Parliament Relating to the Post Office from 1 & 2 Victoria to 7 & 8 Victoria, 1838-1844. Reprint ed., Devon: The Britannia Stamp Bureau, 1976.
- Bodily, Ritchie, Chris Jarvis, and Charles Hahn. British Pictorial Envelopes of the 19th Century. Chicago: The Collectors Club of Chicago, 1984.
- Daunton, M.J. Royal Mail: The Post Office Since 1840. London and Dover, New Hampshire: The Athlone Press, 1985.
- Goodwyn, Charles W. Royal Reform. Bristol: Stuart Rossiter Trust, 1999.
- "Great Britain and the Empire in Europe," The Encyclopaedia of British Empire Postage Stamps 1661-1947, volume 1. London: Robson Lowe Ltd., 1948.
- Grimwood-Taylor, James. "Birth of the Postage Stamp," The American Philatelist, 12 installments (June 1989 to May 1990).
- Lowe, Robson. The British Postage Stamp. London: National Postal Museum, 1968.
- Muir, Douglas N. Postal Reform and the Penny Black. London: National Postal Museum, 1990.
- The Queen's Stamps. Cambridge: The Burlington Press, 2002.
- The Queen's Stamps: The Creation and Development (up to 1880) of the British Postage Stamp. London: The Queen's Gallery, Buckingham Palace, 1965.
- Reform of the Post Office in the Victorian Era and its Impact on Economic and Social Activity. London: The Royal Philatelic Society, 2000.
- Robinson, Howard. The British Post Office: A History. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1948.
- The Royal Philatelic Society London 1869-1969. Glasgow: Robert Maclehose & Company Ltd, The University of Glasgow, 1969.
- Scott, J.G.S. Official Franking 1800-1840. The Postal History Society Special Series No. 36, 1983. London: Postal History Society, 1983.
- Seymour, J.B. The Penny Black of Great Britain. American Philatelic Society, 1938.
- ________. The Stamps of Great Britain: Part One, The Line Engraved Issues 1840 to 1853. London: Royal Philatelic Society, 1950.
- Staff, Frank. The Penny Post 1608-1918. London: Lutterworth Press, 1964.
- Stral, Harold M. "The Congressional Mulready and Daniel Webster," The American Philatelist (June 1990), pp. 530-534.
- Sussex, John. Stamp World London 90: Souvenir Handbook. London: Stamp World Exhibitions, 1990.