Prepared by Thomas Lera, Winton M. Blount Research Chair.
COLLECTION SCOPE & CONTENT
The John M. Taylor Collection consists of 1 Volume of stamps and covers from Uruguay from 1858 to 1901.
The specialized one volume collection of Uruguay was donated by John M. Taylor on December 31, 1957 (Accession Number 217675).
Uruguay's capital, Montevideo, was founded by the Spanish in the early 18th century as a military stronghold; its natural harbor soon developed into a commercial center competing with Argentina's capital, Buenos Aires. Uruguay's early 19th century history was shaped by ongoing conflicts between the British, Spanish, Portuguese, and colonial forces for dominance in the Argentina-Brazil-Uruguay region.
Uruguay's only land border is with Brazil to the north. To the west lies the Uruguay River, to the southwest lies the estuary of Rio de la Plata, with Argentina only a short commute across the banks of either of these bodies of water, while to the southeast is the South Atlantic Ocean.
This volume covers the specialized early issues from 1858 – 1901, mostly singles, some postal history and Back of the Book Official overprints.