Westminster and Vancouver Tramway Owney tag
- Owney received this token on one of his visits into Canada. While visiting Vancouver, British Columbia, he may have ridden on the Westminster and Vancouver Tramway, which opened in October 1891. The tramway was the continent’s first inter-urban electric railway, carrying passengers (and possibly a traveling dog), but no mail, between New Westminster and downtown Vancouver. There is no indication of when Owney received this tag, or what the number, 0004 stood for.
- Data Source
- National Postal Museum
- Object number
- Owney, American, c. 1888 - 1897
- Seals, Symbols & Signage
- Height x Width: 1 1/2 x 1 3/4 in. (3.81 x 4.45 cm)
- CANADA (British commonwealth nation)
- See more items in
- National Postal Museum Collection
- Record ID
This image is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.