Letter to David Walters from Rachel Walters
- Single sheet of paper letter written on both sides in blue ink by Rachel Walters to her husband David. She writes of receiving the $25 and the ring he sent on 29 September 1862 (see Museum ID 1991.0291.5). She notes that she had not yet received the miniature and his clothing that he shipped. This exchange of letters between Private David Walters of the 5th Indiana Calvary and his wife Rachel occurred within a week’s time.
- Heidelbaugh, Lynn, and Thomas J. Paone. Between Home and the Front: Civil War Letters of the Walters Family. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2022.
- Data Source
- National Postal Museum
- October 7, 1862
- Object number
- Covers & Associated Letters
- paper; ink
- Height x Width: 7 7/8 x 10 in. (20 x 25.4 cm)
- See more items in
- National Postal Museum Collection
- Civil War and Reconstruction (1860-1877)
- Covers & Letters
- Record ID
This image is in the public domain (free of copyright restrictions). You can copy, modify, and distribute this work without contacting the Smithsonian. For more information, visit the Smithsonian's Open Access page.