- Search the Collection
- 22c Moroni Madonna single
22c Moroni Madonna single
- The Postal Service issued the two 1987 special Christmas stamps on October 23 at separate locations.
- The contemporary stamp was issued in Anaheim, California. The design by Jim Dean features red, blue, and gold glass balls hanging from the limb of a Christmas pine.
- The traditional Christmas stamp, designed by Bradbury Thompson, was issued in Washington, DC, on October 23, 1987. The basis of its design is the sixteenth century painting, "A Gentleman in Adoration Before the Madonna," by Giovanni Battista Morino. The Morino painting was the fourteenth art masterpiece from the National Gallery of Art featured on a US Christmas stamp.
- Both stamps were printed in the photogravure process and issued in panes of 100.
- Postal Bulletin (September 24, 1987).
- Credit line
- Copyright United States Postal Service. All rights reserved.
- Data Source
- National Postal Museum
- October 23, 1987
- Object number
- Postage Stamps
- paper; ink (multicolored); adhesive / photogravure
- United States of America
- See more items in
- National Postal Museum Collection
- Scott Catalogue USA 2367
- Art & Photography
- Holidays & Celebrations
- U.S. Stamps
- Record ID
- Usage conditions apply
International media Interoperability Framework
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.