- Search the Collection
- 20c Jim Thorpe single
20c Jim Thorpe single
- A 20-cent commemorative stamp honoring American athlete Jim Thorpe was issued May 24, 1984, in Shawnee, Oklahoma. The First Day of Issue ceremony was held at Shawnee Junior High School.
- The stamp, an addition to the American Sports Series, was based on a photograph of Thorpe taken when he played for the Canton Bulldogs of the American Professional Football Association. It was designed by Richard Gangel and modeled by Esther Porter.
- A football, track, and baseball star, JimThorpe is considered one of the greatest athletes of all time. He won gold medals for both the pentathlon and the decathlon at the 1912 summer Olympics in Stockholm. He played both professional baseball and football and was named to the halls of fame of college football, pro football, and track and field.
- The stamp was printed in the intaglio process, with fifty stamps per pane.
- Postal Bulletin (April 19, 1984).
- Credit line
- Copyright United States Postal Service. All rights reserved.
- Data Source
- National Postal Museum
- May 24, 1984
- Object number
- Jim Thorpe, American, 1888 - 1953
- Postage Stamps
- paper; ink (dark brown); adhesive / engraving
- United States of America
- See more items in
- National Postal Museum Collection
- Scott Catalogue USA 2089
- The Cold War (1945-1990)
- American Indian Heritage
- U.S. Stamps
- Record ID
- Usage conditions apply
Related Object Groups
International media Interoperability Framework
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.