- Search the Collection
- 37c Madonna and Child booklet single
37c Madonna and Child booklet single
- In celebration of the holiday season, the Postal Service issued both a traditional and contemporary Christmas stamp in 2004.
- The traditional stamp, the 37-cent Madonna and Child by Lorenzo Monaco, was issued in a pressure-sensitive adhesive double- sided book of twenty stamps on October 14, 2004, in New York, New York. Richard Sheaff of Scottsdale, Arizona, designed the stamp. The design is a detail of a tempera-on-panel "Madonna and Child" by Florentine painter Lorenzo Monaco. The panel dates from 1413 and is part of the Samuel H. Kress Collection at the National Gallery of Art in Washington, DC. Ashton-Potter (USA), Ltd., produced 776.4 million stamps in the offset process with microprinting "USPS."
- The contemporary stamps, the 37-cent Holiday Ornaments, were issued in four designs in a pressure-sensitive adhesive pane of twenty stamps on November 16, 2004, in New York, New York. Derry Noyes of Washington, DC, designed the stamps. The stamps feature photographs by Sally Andersen-Bruce of painted glass Santa ornaments. The ornaments were made in 1999 in Lauscha, Germany, for D. Blümchen & Company of Ridgewood, New Jersey, and were hand- painted by designer Diane S. Boyce. Nestled in tissue paper, these shiny Santas evoke happy memories of lights, tinsel, and other favorite Christmas tree decorations.
- The contemporary stamps were also issued in a double-sided booklet of 20, a folded vending book of twenty, and an ATM sheetlet of eighteen stamps. Sennett Security Products printed 140 million stamps in panes of twenty in the gravure process.
- Postal Bulletin (September 16, 2004).
- Postal Bulletin (October 14, 2004).
- Credit line
- Copyright United States Postal Service. All rights reserved.
- Data Source
- National Postal Museum
- October 14, 2004
- Object number
- Postage Stamps
- paper; ink (multicolored)/ lithographed
- United States of America
- See more items in
- National Postal Museum Collection
- Scott Catalogue USA 3879
- Holidays & Celebrations
- Contemporary (1990-present)
- Art & Photography
- U.S. Stamps
- Record ID
- Usage conditions apply
International media Interoperability Framework
IIIF provides researchers rich metadata and media viewing options for comparison of works across cultural heritage collections. Visit the IIIF page to learn more.