50 lire Pope John Paul II Trip to Venezuala, Peru, Ecuador and Trinadad single
- On October 27, 1987, the Vatican issued a series of eight definitive stamps featuring the journeys of Pope John Paul II (1920-2005) during 1985 and 1986.
- The 50-lire stamp portrays the pope's journey in Venezuela, Ecuador, Peru, Trinidad, and Tobago from January 26 through February 6, 1985. The pope is depicted as blessing two Indian youths, against the background of the Inca city of Machu Picchu and the Caribbean.
- The stamps are horizontal, measure 40 x 30 mm, and have a perforation of 14 x 13 1/4. Produced on white chalky paper in multicolor rotogravure print, the stamps were issued in sheets of twenty. Each stamp includes the dates of the journey, the names of the places visited, the value, and the words POSTE VATICANE. Professor Renato Cristiano designed the series.
- "New Definitives." Vatican Notes 36, no. 4 (January 1988): 4-5.
- Data Source
- National Postal Museum
- October 27, 1987
- Object number
- Postage Stamps
- paper; ink
- VATICAN CITY (independent city state)
- See more items in
- National Postal Museum Collection
- Scott Catalogue Vatican City 795
- U.S. Stamps
- Record ID
- Not determined