DCSIMG
Smithsonian National Postal MuseumTitle: The Pichs CollectionSan Carlos Institute
HomeRoberto PichsThe Pichs Collection, Exploring Cuba's History Through Postage StampsSan Carlos InstituteCredits
Smithsonian National Postal Museum The Pichs Collection, Exploring Cuba's History Through Postage Stamps
(graphic bar)
Postal History
Aviation History

Pan American Dominates the Caribbean

On 8 October 1929, the Compañía Nacional Cubana de Aviación Curtiss, S.A., (C.N.C.A.C.) was founded as a wholly-owned subsidiary of the North American group, part of the Curtiss aviation group (fig. 20). It started service on 29 October 1930 from Havana to Santiago de Cuba, via Cienfuegos-Santa Clara, Morón, and Camagüey with Ford Tri-Motors (fig 21). Pan American Airways eliminated this new threat to its Caribbean domain and bought C.N.C.A.C. on 6 May 1932, shortening the name to C.N.C.A. Throughout the 1930s, this Cuban affiliate operated in association with its parent company as an efficient domestic regional airline, constantly improving its aircraft fleet and its schedules (fig. 19). Modern Lockheed L-10 Electras were introduced on 29 July 1935, reducing the Havana-Santiago journey time from 6hr 15m to 4hr 15m. The service was called “The Cuban Air Ltd.”

fig. 20

fig. 20
Map: C.N.C.A. (Cubana) During the 30’s

Magnifier

fig. 19
fig. 19

fig. 21
fig. 21

Aviation History

The Birth of Air Transport in Cuba

The Start of Pan American Airways

Pan American Dominates the Caribbean

A National Airline for Cuba

Cubana Develops International Routes

A New Regime

Maintaining International Links

Back Back Next Next