The North American Intervention (2)
The first U.S. troops to land in Cuba were marines who
landed at Caimanera on Guantánamo Bay on June 10,
1898. The army made two landings on the southeast coast
of Cuba on June 22. The first was at Siboney, and the
second at Daiquiri. The idea was to capture the city of
Santiago de Cuba, about 8 miles west. On July 1, heavy
fighting took place at El Caney and San Juan Hill. Spanish
Admiral Cervera, whose fleet was anchored in Santiago’s
harbor, made a desperate attempt to leave the harbor on
July 3. Unfortunately, the entrance channel was narrow
and would only allow one vessel at a time to pass through.
As the Spanish fleet passed out of the harbor in single
file, the American warships were able to attack them one
by one. On July 16, Spanish forces at Santiago surrendered
and the city was occupied on July 17.
The US military post office at Santiago was established
on July 21, 1898.
Tome II, p.3: Santiago to New York,
to see a detail of cover design.
This cover shows the oval postmark of “Mil. Sta.
No. 1/ Santiago/ Cuba” (Military Station No.1),
canceling a US postage stamp overprinted with values in
Cuban currency for use in Cuba. These overprinted stamps
were first placed on sale on January 2, 1899. This particular
cover was backstamped on arrival at New York in December,