The Republic of Cuba (13)
U.S.S. Chaumont was built in 1920 by the American International
Shipbuilding Corp, Hog Island, Pa., and commissioned on
November 22, 1921. She was assigned to transport duty
and sailed the Atlantic, Pacific and Caribbean during
the 1920’s and 1930’s, carrying military supplies,
marine expeditionary forces, sailors and their dependents,
and occasionally congressmen. On August 28, 1943, U.S.S.
Chaumont was decommissioned and converted to a hospital
ship. She was renamed U.S.S. Samaritan and did good service
in the Pacific during World War II. U.S.S. Samaritan was
decommissioned at San Francisco on June 25, 1946.
This cover was posted while the U.S.S. Chaumont was visiting
Guantanamo Bay in January, 1936. The cachet illustrates
some of the previous ports of call she had made in the
Tome II, p.91: Guantanamo Bay to
Staten Island, NY. January 1936.