As more manufacturing companies moved into automobile production, and cars became more reliable, rural carriers across the country moved to trade in their horses for the new horse-powered machines.
William H. McIntyre operated the Auburn Motor Chassis Company of Auburn, Indiana between 1912 and1915. McIntyre’s company marketed their “Handy Wagon” automobile to rural carriers through R.F.D. News.
Robert Craig Hubb and his brother Louis began operations of their Hupp company in 1908 in Detroit, Michigan. The brothers hoped to reach rural carriers with their “Hupmobile” car.